Best 5 Home Security Systems
Regardless of each of our own personal socioeconomic situations, all of us want to protect our homes. Within the walls of your mansion, standard single-family home, apartment, etc., etc., is where your family is, where your most valuable material items are kept, where family heirlooms may reside, nostalgic photos, and so on & so forth. In short, our homes are more than just four walls. They are an extension of your family, itself. Outside of the economic ruin that can come from a home invasion, there is also risk to personal safety, emotional trauma, and the list goes on. Protecting your home is something that was left up to a baseball bat beside the bed for years and years. But, in the 21st century, home protection and owning your own security system is something that has been fully democratized and affordable for every socioeconomic group. When I was a kid, it was only the "rich people" who had security systems. But no more.
So to elaborate more on the "why," Jennifer Pattison Tuohy, of US News, in her "Why Get a Home Security System" piece, advises the following: "Home protection and family safety are the primary purposes of a home security system. While this includes detecting burglary, a security system also detects a number of other threats, including smoke, fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, and water damage. Whether you self-monitor or pay for professional monitoring, you can know if there’s danger in your home, wherever you are. A professionally monitored security system will call emergency services for you if a smoke or flood sensor is activated, whether you are home, away, or asleep. It’s worth noting that you have to buy the security company’s equipment in order to get professional monitoring of smoke and water sensors, which is not included in standard packages and comes at an additional cost."
Today, we are going to go over our best 5 home security systems to help you decide which is best for you! Now, we have scoured the internet and found dozens of competitors in the space. But we have thoughtfully researched each and narrowed it to just five. (Otherwise, this post would be longer than the internet, itself.) Also, because the variables are so vast, doing an apples-to-apples comparison is not the easiest task in the world. So we will go over the packages these five companies offer, rather than a "build your own" situation. And the rankings will come down to how each company is reviewed, affordability, ease of use, and a bunch of other practical info. we have gathered.
Lastly, remember that all these companies run frequent sales. Whether it is Veterans' Day, Labor Day, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or whatever, sales pop up constantly. So after you have made your choice on which home security system works best for you, make sure you become a sale sniper and check the ol' calendar before making the purchase! A sale may be right around the corner. And on top of that, there are fantastic coupon codes that can save you even more money; that is on top of the sales each of these companies are running. For each one of those, I have linked the company name to the coupon code page for you to pick that up, too! Save that money, honey! Make sense? Great.
With that, let's get started with the company that summitted our list at the number one spot!
Vivint home security systems do not just catch crimes on video! They quite literally help prevent it. With outdoor security cameras that detect lurking criminals and scare them away, a doorbell camera that detects & protects your package deliveries, and smart door locks, smart lighting, & a plethora of security sensors, your home will become its own fierce deterrent and will always be protected with the utmost tenacity. Vivint home security systems are our number one spot because they have a track record that is longer than nearly all others on the list and everything is top notch. This is a red carpet situation with Vivint, y'all. With that, let's go over a few quick bullet points about the Vivint home security system...
- Vivint offers 24/7 monitoring.
- Intrusion detection is available on all packages.
- You get a touchscreen control panel as a hub to control everything in your system.
- In addition to the touchscreen hub, there is a great mobile app.
- You get the security of video surveillance.
- Voice control is an option.
- A more premium service will include storage for all video clips caught by your sec. cameras.
- You can add smart home integration and automation as an add-on feature.
- And Vivint will even offer you vehicle protection, as well.
- Vivint's Trustpilot score is 4.0/5 with about 30,000 reviews!
- The cost for each Vivint package is not listed, as they request that you go through the "Start your quote" process to do so.
- Vivint coupon codes are available!
The Simplisafe home security system is coming in at number two! This is the security system I use, personally. It works fantastically. My nine-year-old daughter could have installed it, it was so easy. They have active monitoring available, which means you can have your system automatically call the police if it is tripped. You get a safe word and the whole nine yards. Another great system, overall. Has all the components you will need for both protecting your family and all your belongings, too. In addition, some great things for your home insurance cost, most likely, as they offer water leak detection as an option and other smart sensors that will not only allow you to say safe from "bad guys" but from unforeseen damage to your home, as well. Great company. Great service. Love them. With that, let's go over a few quick bullet points about the SimpliSafe home security system...
- No contracts with SimpliSafe, y'all.
- Free shipping on everything, regardless of order size. (Boom!)
- Zero wiring with SimpliSafe; this is fully wireless system with both cellular and Wi-Fi!
- As mentioned, there is detection for water leaks, fire & smoke, carbon monoxide, and more!
- 30 minutes to self-install SimpliSafe: no drilling or tools needed.
- The sensors used have an absolutely ridiculous range on them, so big houses are welcome!
- Automatic software updates, so you do not have to disconnect the system every week to update it.
- Between the US and the UK, they have a Trustpilot score of 4.0/5 with about 20,000 reviews.
- The SimpliSafe packages range from $244.96 to $504.86 before sales are factored in!
- SimpliSafe coupon codes are available!
Next on our list of the best 5 home security systems in a star in this industry...and this the Cove home security system! In 2021, they really made a name for themselves, winning the Best Home Security System, Best DIY Home Security System, and Best Wireless Home Security System that year! We always talk about the ease of installation on these sec. systems, and that is because anyone should be able to do it. Any homeowner or resident, of any age. I know I mentioned my nine-year-old kiddo being able to set up SimpliSafe. Well, Cove is the exact same. In fact, they even have a promo video that has a youngster setting their system up, just to show how easy it really is. (Brilliant move.) And their reviews back this up, too. In addition to everything you would expect from a top-of-the-line security system, Cove also offers certain medical alerts. This company is up and coming. Coming for SimpliSafe and Vivint, if they are not careful! With that, let's go over a few quick bullet points about the Cove home security system...
- Systems from Cove include a touchscreen panel hub. It allows all the system's components to communicate and function.
- Cove sec. systems come with burglary and intrusion sensors for doors, windows, glass-breaking sound sensors, and more!
- Mucho cameras everywhere; get as many as you need. They all can be seen via the app or the touchscreen hub.
- Environmental sensors are included: fire, smoke, carbon monoxide, flooding, etc., etc.
- Remotes and medical alerts are part of the Cove sec. system, making it easy to contact authorities, arm, or disarm your system.
- The Trustpilot score for Cove is out of this world: 4.6/5 with over 4,000 reviews and counting!
- For pricing, Cove asks that you take their one-minute survey to view these. Available on their official website.
- Cove coupon codes are available!
Coming in strong at our number four spot is the OG of home security: the ADT home security system! ADT has been around...basically forever. It was virtually the only company most of us knew of back in the '90s. And despite all the enormous leaps and bounds that technology has taken, they have not only remained relevant but are still crushing it! They will allow you to pick from packages that fit your exact needs, in addition to building your own custom package. Some of the pre-made packages can be as simple as a few items in their Secure Home package, some smart home devices added to that in their Smart Home package, or you can get gangster with it and select their Video and Smart Home package that will get you everything under the sun to protect what is most valuable to you and your family. With that, let's go over a few quick bullet points about the ADT home security system...
- ADT offers intrusion detection in all their packages.
- Another benefit is there fire, smoke, CO, and flood monitoring is standard, not an add-on service. (This sets them apart a bit for this feature.)
- Voice control for your system is standard with ADT.
- All systems come with ADT's touchscreen control panel, which, like the others, is the hub of your entire system.
- Available to add on are remote access with their mobile app. (Comes in 2 of 3 packages offered.)
- Smart home automation and control can be integrated for ease of use.
- Video security and the ability to store your video clips is available and a great benefit.
- Google smart home products are able to be integrated, as well; this is a huge hit with ADT customers.
- ADT's pricing for their pre-made packages starts at only $599.00 (and that is before any sales or coupon codes)!
- ADT coupon codes are available!
And rounding our the best 5 home security systems, coming in hot at number five is another standout: the Frontpoint home security system! Now you can turn your home's lights on before you get home, close your garage door that you might have accidentally left open before you left for work this morning, and turn on the air conditioner or heater to get the crib to that "just right" temperature before you arrive home! All with the touch of a button with the Frontpoint home sec. system! Frontpoint lets their users set up a multitude of smart home automation using "scenes" for one-touch control through their award-winning mobile app. In addition to that, your system detects anything out of the ordinary that is afoot at home, notifying you instantly so you can take the necessary action! Customized for you. Your family. Your home. And this is why we dig Frontpoint. They are really a standout and, like Cove, are making a big name for themselves in this space. Look for them to move up this list in the future! With that, let's go over a few quick bullet points about the Frontpoint home security system...
- One of the industry's best mobile app user experiences; it is very intuitive and Grandma will love it, too.
- Automatic sensor checks every hour, if you want; this is something no other company does automatically.
- 24-hour battery back-up.
- 3-year warranty.
- Smart doorbell camera is available.
- Interior cameras.
- Door and window sensors wherever you need and/or want them.
- Outdoor cameras.
- Motion sensors.
- Broken glass sensors.
- Garage sensors (fan favorite, this one).
- Smoke + heat sensors.
- Carbon monoxide, flood, smoke, fire, etc. sensors.
- Frontpoint's Trustpilot score is the second best of our top five today, coming in at 4.2/5 with over 12,000 reviews!
- Pricing before any applicable sales for Frontpoint starts at $402.96 for The Starter Pack and cap at $790.91 for The Family Lookout package, all before sales are factored in!
- Frontpoint coupon codes are available, too!
Every option on this list is one you truly can't go wrong in choosing. Each has carved out little niches that they are best at. But, for the most part, they all use the same devices and have the same goal in mind. So, you have read this post. Now, it is time for you to dig into the nitty gritty details of each and decide which will work best for you and yours. I think all are fantastic. And, to be honest, when we were narrowing down all the options to make the top five, it was not easy; there were several that did not make it that were close. So if you closed your eyes and threw a dart at one of these above companies, I have not doubt you would be extremely satisfied. If you do elect to buy one of these home security systems, make sure you take advantage of their frequent sales, as they are super significant in how the pricing changes. And...definitely get a coupon code to save even more; you can stack that with the sales! Thank you all for reading and good luck in your search for a more secure home. Cheers!